RE: Steering box replacement

To: "'Dan Heinze'" <dth104@psu.edu>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Steering box replacement
From: "Eric Hankinson" <eric@railpros.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 22:19:13 -0800
Answers:

Dan, I will e-mail supporting photos to you.  If anybody else on the list
wants photos, please let me know.  The work was done by H&H Motorsports in
Whittier so although I am familiar with what they did, you are not getting
first-hand knowledge. I am not 100% sure that the Mustang II rack in my car
is from Flaming River or not. Several outfits make a Mustang II rack.  My
understanding is that they are all similar, though not identical.  I would
have to go back and look through my receipts and even then I may not have
complete info.  The Flaming River MGB/Cobra rack is apparently a relatively
new product and I don't believe it was introduced yet at the time of my
conversion.  My R&P was shortened in order to fit. Thus, I would think the
shorter MGB/Cobra rack would be better to start with; however, shortening
may still be necessary.  It appears my pinion shaft is small as per the
photo. A u-joint connects the pinion to the column. I like the ratio on my
rack but less turns would be even better!  I have had no travel issues with
my setup.  The hardware that came with the rack was used for mounting;
however some pieces were cut and re-welded in a few instances.  The rack
mounts are where the original steering box and idler were mounted.  These
areas were cut and new pieces of structural steel were welded in to provide
the desired mounting surface/layout. My steering shaft is extensively
modified in order to get around the big V8 engine.  I have three U-joints as
per the photos. You will probably need to have at least one u-joint
connecting the pinion to the column. I also recently had the middle U-joint
recently replaced with a combo vibration damper u-joint (also by Flaming
River) in order to prevent road vibration from transmitting to the steering
wheel (which is apparently a common problem with R&P setups).  The older
technology for this function was called a "rag joint".  I highly recommend
the vibration damper with any R&P setup.  It works very well.

Questions for Eric:

Re the Flaming River racks...

1. Is the 45 inch Mustang II rack a good length or would the 41 inch
Cobra rack fit better?
2. Did you get a short or long pinion shaft?
3. The Mustang II rack is 4 turns to lock but the Cobra is 3 turns to
lock... how do you like the ratio on the Mustang rack?
4. The Mustang II rack has 5.25 inch travel but the Cobra is 6.25 inch
travel... does the Mustang rack give you enough travel?
5. Did you use the Flaming River mounts or did you fabricate your own?
If you did your own, would you post pics?
6. Did you have to make mods to the steering shaft? What did you use to
join the steering shaft to the pinion shaft?