Tachometer question

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tachometer question
From: "Damian Hall" <datsun_nut@ns.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 16:34:49 -0400
Hello again,

This is potentially for the trivia buffs.

I had a 68 factory Solex (Canadian spec) that was so bad I broke it for parts.
My 69 SRL also came with Solex and 'B'cam but it must have been added later. I
also had another 69 parts car. I have, in fact, 2 extra pairs of carbs. All
are 'old style' Solex.

To the point: regarding two quite different 8000 rpm tachs that I have.

Tach #1- it has a secondary chrome ring on the tach face approx 1.5 inch in
diameter. X100rpm is below the needle within this chrome bezel. It has
indicator marks at @250 rpm intervals. Red zone - above 7000rpm is more of an
orange colour. The trip cap in the middle of the needle is flat.

Tach#2- smooth concave face,   x100RPM is above the needle. Has 500 rpm
intervals, but seems to have 100 rpm intervals between 500 and 1500 rpm. Red
zone above 7000 is deep red. The trim cap in the middle of the needle is
pointy, like a small cone.

Questions:
Which is the elder? (I've looked for dates on the back but can't make them
out)
Are these typical differences? (I hadn't seen this one before in the
literature)
Why is my current tach bouncing 4000-7000rpm. I can spin the cable with my
fingers and see a 3000rpm bounce-is this a cable issue or a tach issue?
How can I check either of the two tachs above?

Thanks in advance for any and all insights that I have gleaned from you all

Damian Hall
69 SRL Solex
Pictou NS Canada