Brake & Clutch Master Cylinder - shims

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake & Clutch Master Cylinder - shims
From: "Dziuba, Larry" <LarryD@pengrowth.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 21:07:45 -0600
>From the responses so far, it looks like the shims have several
purposes.  1.)  It insures that the pedal does not keep the master
cylinder's push rod from fully releasing.  If it does not come back all
the way I believe it does not allow for proper fluid movement in the
master.  And if the pedal keeps pressure on the system then it seems
like the brakes could be on all the time.  I believe the my brake pedal
is not holding the push rod from releasing and I just have the one shim
to align it up and down wise.  2.)  The shims also help align the pedal
and push rod so that the push rod enters the cylinder square to it i.e.
at right angles up/down and left to right.  3.)  It is possible that the
shims help line the clutch and brake pedals to each other.  If my clutch
cylinder had eight shims, then it must have barely come through the
firewall.  This does not seem to be a very stable situation.  Can anyone
correction my interpretation so far.  Larry.