Starting car after 14 year outdoor hibernation

To: "'Datsun Roadsters list'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Starting car after 14 year outdoor hibernation
From: Adam Bradley <ambradley@frontiernet.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 16:25:34 -0800
I bought a car last Friday that hasn't been started since probably
1991.  It wasn't prepped in any way; it was just left there to rot.
It's complete and the engine turns by hand, but it definitely needs new
battery cables and a battery.  What else I should do before trying to
fire it up?  I'm thinking change the oil, clean off the rocker arm (has
some rusty-looking deposits), drain the gas tank, drain and refill the
radiator, take off the carb dash pots and clean/re-oil those.  Before
moving under its own power, I also want to change the transmission and
rear end gear oil, and the brake master cylinder is bone dry (though the
clutch m/c is full), so there's plenty more to do there, but I'd just
like to try to make it run.

Most of those are pretty straight-forward to me, but I've never drained
a gas tank before (not on purpose anyway).  Should I put in anything to
help clean the tank along with fresh gas?  Should I disconnect the line
to the carb and let it pump out all the old gas until the new stuff
starts flowing, or is it OK to let the old stuff still in the lines go
through the engine?