RE: seat foam

To: <JohnnyRoadster@verizon.net>
Subject: RE: seat foam
From: "erik and amy" <erikandamy@integraonline.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 21:16:21 -0600
I have read/received different ideas on fixing the foam in my seats. The
backs
are fixable, but not the bottoms.  I figured I would just glue a few extra
pieces on to get them back in good shape.  After removing the old fabric, I
found that one had already been done in the past, and one of the seat
bottoms
is in really bad shape.  I am thinking of just getting new foam and shapeing
it.  What kind of foam is used?  I started browsing the web and came accross
this...
http://www.foamproducts.net/products2.cfm?ID=11&nav_chooser=category&dept=3

but i have no idea if it would be the right density? firmness? and last
awhile
too!

I would bet that foam in the link would be a bit less springy than desired.
When I wanted to repair the foam in my old explorer, I just went to an auto
upholstry shop and asked if they had any seat cushion foam to spare.  $5
later I had almost exactly what I needed, a foam  bucket seat cushion out of
something likely 70's and domestic.  A bit of carving with the turkey knife
and it fit perfectly.

Your results may vary.

Erik Smeby