RE: SR20DET vacuum leak

To: "Arthur R. Rockwell" <arthurrockwell@sbcglobal.net>,
Subject: RE: SR20DET vacuum leak
From: "Michael Spreadbury" <michaelspreadbury@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 09:44:14 -0700
Hi Arthur,

Any late model, EFI engine is going to be very sensitive to vacuum leaks.

Here are a couple things to look at with your SR20DET engine:

1. Did you plug the hole at the back of the intake plenum (the lower part)
where the brake booster hose screwed into the plenum? There is a cad plated
fitting with a 90-degree end on it which screws into the intake plenum. If
this was not plugged you will have a HUGE vacuum leak. This item is missed
by lots of 510 guys when they do their swaps as it can be hard to see.

2. AAC valve. It is fairly common for the AAC valve to get plugged up and
not function at all. I rarely see vacuum leaks at this point, but the car
will not idle if it is not working correctly. My business stocks new,
genuine Nissan AAC valves for the SR20DET engine for $150 with the gasket.

3. Do you have all the fittings by the throttle body plugged or connected,
including the one hidden on the underside? One will have a vacuum hose going
to the fuel pressure regulator, and the other to the wastegate on the turbo.
There should be two others which will need to be plugged as they went to the
charcoal canister on the original setup. If they are venting to atmosphere,
you will have a vacuum leak there.

Take a look at this stuff and let us know what you find,

Good luck,

Michael Spreadbury
Spriso Motorsports
SR20DE(T) Swaps our specialty