Steet Chrome Vs Show Chrome: Questions on re-chroming

To: Jones_Barton@msn.com, datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Steet Chrome Vs Show Chrome: Questions on re-chroming
From: "Jim InVirginia" <nqrithfordatsun@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 17:24:57 -0400
This thread comes up about every fall....no problem to discuss though!!
Chrome shops have really high environmental costs these days, do not
expect to find cheap chrome.  Chrome work varies from expensive
to really, really expensive depending on quality, which is primarily the
thickness of the plate, and the prep work.

That said, I looked all over for cheap chrome, and settled on
Hanlon Plating in Richmond Virginia, cause its close to me,
I can dirive there and save fedex.  They do "street chrome" which
is minimal prep work, and not too thick, and "show chrome" which
is probably really nice, but I bought the street chrome.  For this,
they will grind out rust, and even braze over rust holes, but there
might still be grindiing marks in the finished product, there are a few
in mine.  After 3 or 4 years there are a couple tiny places where the
chrome is flaking off, which I touched up with chrome in a can.

Price was a minimum of $25, for any small part, like a door handle , and all
the separate parts of the windshield frame.  Bumpers without the overriders
were 125 each, and they straightened them out and fixed rust holes.

The whole car was about  700, and I did not do overriders, hubcaps,
headlight tubs, or
the Datsun 1600 pot metal.  Mine is a 67, so the windshield frame parts, and
vent wing
frames, and rear view mirror, etc all added up.  Oh, I also did the cowl
vent, just
because I thought it would look cool.

Hope this helps.
Jim