Re: Clutch install question

To: "roadster list" <datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net>, <ed.sawyer@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Clutch install question
From: "George Hobers" <ghobers@sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 22:12:40 -0400
Do not put grease on the raised part of the bearing. Lightly grease the
splines on the input shaft then run the disc up and down the shaft then wipe
the grease off so all you have left is a very light film. Also wipe off the
inside splines of the disc. As for the pilot bushing the Nissan bushings are
self lubricating and are not supposed to be greased.
As for a trick to line up the clutch get a deep chrome socket that fits into
the pilot bushing then tape an extension to the socket with electrical tape
so it won't pull off. With the socket in the pilot bushing put your disc
against the flywheel with the heavy side away from the engine. Now where the
disc sits on the extension you will put the electrical tape. Take off the
disc and wind the tape around the extension to the size of the inside of the
splines. Not tight just enough to fit inside. Now put your socket and
extension in the pilot and put the disc against the flywheel over the tape.
Now put the pressure plate on the flywheel and tighten the bolts while you
are holding the extension to keep the disc center. Pull out your socket and
extension and torque the pressure plate bolts. The trans should line up.
Hope this helps.
I am a lurker on this list but thought I should put my 2 cents in because I
have learned so much the list.
George Hobers
69 2000