RE: New Radio Question

To: "Steve Jones" <727gs@db3broadband.com>, <datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: New Radio Question
From: "Tom @ Datsun2000" <tom@datsun2000.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 02:07:55 -0700
Steve,

The modern car radio is 183mm wide, or about 7.2".  There is no way you can
get one into a high windshield console without some serious bashing or
designing and building a new console with a horizontal radio mount.  An
effort I am seriously considering as a winter project...  I plan to install
the amplifier into the original speaker mount, which will make it convenient
to the battery under the hood.

I looked on eBay for an AM/FM/TAPE radio and found quite a few available.
The one I purchased was new, but it is a very cheap radio.  OK for now, but
it will be updated with either a Blaupunkt, which were common on eBay, or
other similar sized radio.  Most have adjustable knobs to allow for mounting
in your existing control holes.  The big problem I had modifying an already
modified console was the fact that there are two layers of metal to reshape
to fit your new radio.  Be careful to maintain the correct centering between
the control shaft holes.

I have installed my speakers in the panels behind the seats.  Originally I
used 4" speakers, but was not at all happy with the bass (or lack of..).
Now I have installed 5x9 speakers rated for about 400 watts with fairly
large magnets.  Once I figured out how to make a template to mark the metal
for trimming with an angle grinder it was a fairly easy installation.  If
you install the amplifier in the trunk you can run the wires around the back
wall without drilling.  Since I already have 12 gauge speaker wire running
from the front of the car I will have no problem with the firewall mounted
amplifier.

If you are interested I may still have the speaker cutout template, which I
may be able to scan and convert into a full sized drawing for you to use if
you like.  Pictures can be made available on request.

Tom
69 2000 - Mr. Hyde
68 1600/L16 - Barney (now licensed and drivable)
Portland
http://www.datsun2000.com