Re: New Speedo!

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: New Speedo!
From: Ronnie Day <rday@hot.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 12:38:22 -0500
> Mark Dent:

> I have Autometer Phantom gauges in my 67,  The easiest way to get them in
> was make a stainless trim plate to mount them.   That way if you want to go
> back to original you can, just take out the gauges and the trim plate, and
> it is back to original.  There is a photo here
>
> http://www.datsunroadsters.com/spl31108079/spl31108079_21.jpg
>
> Nice clean bright gauges.  Should not be too hard to get them in a later car

Nice look, Mark. I'd like to use as many 270 degree sweep gauges as I can so
they'd be easier to interpret with just a glance. The folks at AutoMeter
suggested the Z series which are white on black, but I do like the look of
yours. How did you hook up the speedo, tach and gas gauge?

Like I said I'm thinking about buying one on the early dash shell
reproductions, simply cutting the panel itself out of aluminum sheet and
then spraying it with a crinkle finish after cutting the wholes for the
gauges, switches, etc. Since most of the gauge connections will be new
getting everything working shouldn't be tough.

I expect pulling the old dash, figuring out how to mount the early dash
shell (do the two mount at the same points, BTW?), fabricating the panel,
figuring out gauge placement and fitting them will take the most time. Of
course having someone with Marc's experience and skills as a fabricator to
call on is a big plus.

Gonna get off here and go play with the car,
Ron