Motor and tranny weights

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Motor and tranny weights
From: "Andy Cost" <andycost@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 06:03:33 -0500
I've been working on swapping a KA24DE into my autocross car.  A while back I
weighed my U20 and it was 365 pounds and the five speed was 86 pounds.  This
weekend I weighed the KA24DE at 340 pounds and it's tranny at 86 pounds.  It
looks like the new motor combo will be 25 pounds lighter than the old one.
There will probably be some more weight savings in the future because I plan
to install a 9 pound flywheel and an 8 pound alternator (Suzuki Swift).  The
KA came with a 4 into 2 into 1 header that is pretty heavy and does not fit in
the roadster.  I will probably buy an Altima 4 into 1 header and then rotate
the bottom 90 degree bend so that it goes out the back of the car instead of
under the motor.  Many of the new header designes incorporate a slip fitting
that is held in place with a spring.  I'm still on my quest for lighter
weight.  I estimate that with the new motor setup that the car is around 1625
pounds now.

Andy