RE: single Weber DCOE - Update

To: "sidney raper" <spl310@hotmail.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: single Weber DCOE - Update
From: "Tom@Datsun2000.com" <tom@datsun2000.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 23:44:11 -0700
Well I have the car running at this time.  I boiled out the carb, but all of
the jets looked good and did not go into the cleaner the first time.  When I
did put the jets into the cleaner I found new holes that originally looked
like machined surfaces.  The car is now running on the carburetor, but the
idle needles are 5 turns out to get it to run reasonably good.  Now for
jetting issues.

I stopped at a Datsun performance shop here in Portland and asked if there
were any Weber parts sources for purchasing jets here in Portland.
Apparently Baxter Auto Parts, http://www.baxterautoparts.com/, is a supposed
to be a local source of Weber parts, but special order is required.  I will
check that out in the near future.

Rich talked to an autocrosser with a 510/L16 with a 40DCOE.  He got the
jetting information for that car and sent it to me.  The guy at the
performance shop thinks that will be the wrong jetting because the L16 is
probably built, which I doubt is the case for my engine, but comparing the
information from the triumph site below and the information from Rich I will
try to figure out where a good starting point might be.  I am still
considering a dual SU setup and selling the Weber with manifold on eBay.

I have driven the car for a couple of blocks (no license plates) and need to
get Mr. Hyde out of the garage so I can put Barney up in the air to inspect
and adjust the brakes and clutch.  If I need a new clutch it looks like the
engine can be removed without removing the tranny.  Almost everything is
accessible from the top of the engine.  A nice change from the original
engine/tranny.

Tom