Re: Needle profiles for SU carbs

To: Tomet9@aol.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Needle profiles for SU carbs
From: Keith0alan@aol.com
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 14:26:36 EDT
Hello all,
    The N-xx and M-xx needles are Nissan. M- for the  1600 and N- for the
2000. The British SU needles are designated with 2 or three  letter codes. The
Nissan numbers and British letter codes seem to be pretty much  random. British
needle profile charts are available from Burlen Fuel Syatems in  England.
_http://www.burlen.co.uk/_ (http://www.burlen.co.uk/)    Also,  that info is
available somewhere as a program called "haystack". A nice tool for  sorting
through the various profiles.
    If someone has found a good British needle for a  basicly stock 2000 like
Tom's please let us know.

keith williams

Hi  to all,

RA, AK, ADQ, MC,RB, SM, these all  seem to be various profiles of needles.
How do you tell the manufacturer  from the profiles? I understand the basics
of SU's but all these  designations baffle me. I'm still experimenting to get
the best idle with  best hi rpm performance and I 'd like to know which
needle
profile to go  with next. Currently running N25 nissan but to get a clean
idle, I
still  seem to have to sacrifice top end "R". My car is basically stock with
bigger  exhaust. Any suggestions from the SU gurus? I'm tired of sanding
needles.

Thanks, Tom 69/2.0