Re: Batteries & heater core

To: garretson2 <garretson2@cox.net>,
Subject: Re: Batteries & heater core
From: Ronnie Day <rday@hot.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 09:51:05 -0500
>Rick Garretson:

> Found a type 51 Optima online, it looks like this is a new size type to the
> Optima line.  The length & with look good, I am a bit concerned about the
> height @ 9" it looks kinda tight to the hood.  If this will fit it is in the
> running as you gotta love the weight @ only 26 lbs.
>
> This is yellow top, looks like the yellow top is better at being parked for
> long naps than the red tops & certainly better than a traditional wet cell.
>
>     Model No.  Former
>     Model No.  Volts  Amp Hours*  CCA @
>     00 F  CA @
>     320 F  J240 Life Cycle  Deep Cycles  Reserve
>     Minutes*  Physical Size
>     L" x W" x H"
>     (Height includes posts)   Lbs.  Terminals
>     51 NA (New) 12 41 500 625 10-12,000 ~350 70 9.25 x 5.0 x 9.0
>     (Incl. Posts/Terminals)  26.0 Top Post

Had to buy a new battery for my pickup a couple of weeks ago and discovered
a (I think) interesting situation. We bought a Champion spiral cell at Sam's
last summer for our Honda van and it's rated at 1000 CCA plus the top posts
are on the long centerline which simplifies not only stocking inventory, but
connections, too.

Anyhoo, went to Sam's, which now carries Interstate, including Optima red
and yellow top, rather than Champion. However the Optimas were rated much
lower (800 CCA, IIRC) than the "standard" low maintenance Interstate (920).
For the truck I bought the Interstate, which was also $25 less. For the 510s
and the roadster, with trunk mounted batteries, I'll buy the Optimas. The
red top was around $100, the yellow top $120, maybe a bit less.

I did some digging on the Optima site and they say that while the red top is
best for MOST daily use auto applications, the the yellow top is best for
occasionally driven vehicles that have some constant loads like alarms, etc.
Good info to know.

FWIW,
Ron