Field note on British SU needles in 2000 Su carbs

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Field note on British SU needles in 2000 Su carbs
From: Keith0alan@aol.com
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 14:55:52 EDT
Hello all,

    I met Chris at Shasta who is running a somewhat  modified U20 with SU
carbs.The stock N-17 needles were just not doing the job  and he had been
experimenting with modifying needles. I offered to loan him a  selection of
British
SU needles I had put together for the U20 and had never had  a chance to try. I
asked that he return the needles that he did not use and a  note concerning
his engine and how the needles worked. Here is his note:

Thanks Keith,

Needles worked great.
My car is a 69-2000 with a 4 speed with 3.5 rear end.
Motor changes are 12 degree advance on cam gear with B-cam, SU carbs,  11 lb.
flywheel, stock distributor and timing at stock setup. The SU carbs with  the
N-17 needles can't keep up with fuel. MC (leanest one I sent, just a little
richer than N-17) needles not much change. Changed to KW (next richer) big
change, tach up to 6500 but you pull the plugs and they are white. RB (next
richer) needles, tach up to 7500 and when you pull plugs they are brown like
they should be. Thanks, Chris

 Before to long here I plan to order some more ADQ needles and a pair  of RBs
to replace the ones Chris purchased. I'm not sure how redialy available  the
RB is in the U.S. so if anyone would like a set I can order them at the  same
time. Once I get my "experimental" set complete again it will be available
for loan under the same conditions. Pay for the ones you keep, send back the
rest and send me a note on your engine and how the needles worked.

thx,
keith williams