Re: Roadster in Practical Classics (was Datsun 2000 Roadster)

To: datsunmike@nyc.rr.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Roadster in Practical Classics (was Datsun 2000 Roadster)
From: RoadsterGB@aol.com
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 14:40:27 EDT
Cheers Mike! This passed me by, but I found a copy today. Like you say,
excellent coverage of Japanese classics and nice that the roadster gets a
billing.

Times are gradually changing in the UK when it comes to Japanese Classics.
When that photo was first taken (1997?), Phil Bell, the guy behind the wheel in
 the photo this month, took it for for 3 more laps of the race circuit than
any  other car he was testing in the comparison (a TVR, TR4, Porsche 912 and
Morgan).  He came back smiling from ear to ear - he said he just didn't want to
get out.  Then he took me to one side and said something like: "Of course I
cannot write  that the Datsun was my favourite, or we would have people
cancelling their  subscriptions..."

I have been wary of journalists ever since, and now I am one. What does  that
say?

Since then, Classic & Sportscar wrote an excellent piece on the same  Datsun
2000 in a comparison with an Alpine, and Classic Cars did an OK job  in
comparison the same car with a Renault Caravelle (?), an MGB and a Fiat.  So
the
mood is - thankfully - changing.

Cheers again.

Rob