Re: OT - 4 post lifts

To: CBrucciani@archinsurance.com
Subject: Re: OT - 4 post lifts
From: DMPDJ@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 16:43:20 EDT
I visited the website and took a look at what this company offers. As an
aside. I work for a very large company that it just so happens manufactures car

lifts amongst other equipment. Before you ask, we are about twice the price,
but  you would have heard of us before if I mentioned the name.

In my travels, I see these lifts in some of the shops I visit. For a shop
that lifts cars day in and day out, this might not be the best possible
selection, but for a home shop application it's probably a great fit provided
you
select the correct lift for the intended use.

This company offers 2 post and 4 post lifts of various lifting capacities.
There are some things to consider when purchasing either. First you must
consider the installation site. Do you have 5"  - 6" thick concrete floor
consisting of at least 4000 PSI strength concrete? If you don't know, you
should  find
out by drilling a hole with a hammer drill and concrete bit in the
approximate locations where the posts will be located. Also, make sure your
ceiling
will have some clearance above the posts for assembly purposes.

Next, is the floor level? The floor should be level to about within 1"
across the post locations. Within that 1" deviation, shims can be used to
compensate for the deviation, beyond that who knows?

You will be paying freight for these lifts from the factory in New York.
Check with the manufacturer for freight rates to tack onto the cost ($600 or
more likely). Lifts are heavy. Do you have access to a roll-off truck to unload

your new prize when it arrives?

Next you will need a qualified installer. Lifts do not ship assembled. You
might want to check with the manufacturer to see if they can recommend an
installer in your area. It's an all-day job, usually 2 guys, and that's with a
professional. Get a quote for installation from the installer, and while you're

at it see if he will take delivery from the factory for you and bring it on
setup day. These guys have the equipment and experience to ensure that your
lift  installation will be what you hoped it would be.

Make sure you get the right lift. Even if your F350 Crew-Cab Dualie  will
actually fit on the lift and has a curb weight of 6900 pounds (or  whatever),
you need to add the weight of the bed full of top soil in the truck  as well as
the weight of the optional rolling jacks (4 post) to the total load  or you
might find the weak point in the hydraulic system!

Oh yeah, don't forget the 220 single phase drop. Lift installers are not
electricians and will not make that connection for you.

Aside from that, these lifts seem totally adequate for home shope
applications. If you are considering the 2 post and own a pickup truck or
minivan, you
might want to ask about asymetric 2 posts.

By the way, Our 2 post 9000 pound lifts (symetrical, asymetrical) are on
special right now for about $3500 plus your state sales tax, delivered and
installed! They are made in America and backed by an 85 year old American
"FORTUNE
500" company. The only thing you will need to do is the electrical  hookup
and verify the concrete thickness and level. Don't cheat because if the
installer arrives and finds your floor is 3 inches thick and shaped like a
potato
chip, you'll be paying for his travel time in 2 directions.

Hope this helps!

Dave