Update on headlight problem

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Update on headlight problem
From: "Bill Cole" <wdc52458@proaxis.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 14:21:03 -0700
Well this stuck on bright headlight problem is not yet solved. I removed and
cleaned inside the dash switch, it seams to work fine.While original switch
was out I tried a switch out of a 69-70 and it did not work at all??? Then I
tested the Hi/Low TS switch with a multi-meter and things are grounding out
when I go to dim but my lights are still stuck on bright??
   Finally I checked the leads at the relay under the hood and the RB wire was
dead while on dim so then I removed the Headlight relay cover and notice the
bi-metal contact is staying in the bright position (up) while even on dim. The
current is released but it just stays against the upper contact point. The dim
contact point seamed to be bent down to where the bimetal could not contact
it. Could I have had a small minor meltdown in the relay?
   This car has a single bank fuse box and a 4 wire light relay and is in a 68
1600 that I have driven for 26 years and never had "THIS" light problem. Hey
guys it's a 68! It's heated up a few fuses in it's days.
   I do have a wiring diagram and it shows a passing relay for this year but I
only see the Light and Horn relay's located under the hood. Could the Passing
relay be it hidden under the dash?
   I think I'll go back out and try to figure out this light problem. HELP!!!

Bill Cole
68 SPL U20/5spd. Full Comp Susp. (with very bright lights)
69 SRL Project