Re: Trouble with my Headlights

To: "Bill Cole" <wdc52458@proaxis.com>
Subject: Re: Trouble with my Headlights
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 14:02:35 -0700
> Hello everyone I am a new member to the list.

Welcome.

> Recently my 68 1600 headlights quit working on dim and now I
> believe they are stuck on bright when switch is pulled on. My dash
> indicator shows bright.

And I bet you don't have instrument lights, either.

At least on the '69s, the high/low relay selects high beams when
not energized, and low when energized (i.e. the relay is provided
with power to select low beams). The power is switched thru the
turn signal stalk, and this power is sourced from the instrument
lights.

The headlight switch controls the instrument lights. If the switch
is broken or has dirty internal contacts, the instrument lights don't
get power. A blown fuse will also knock out the instrument lights/
low beam control.

Again, this may only apply to '69...

-- John