SAKE RKT Lives Again!

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: SAKE RKT Lives Again!
From: "James Cawrse" <nqrithfordatsun@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 08:51:58 -0400
Dear List,
Some might remember my rather bitter complaining about loss of 5th in
reverse in the tranny
of my pushrod 2L, way last December.  Well, two weeks ago I finally got
around to
pulling the engine and tranny.  I did  not have cash to have another tranny
built, so I sorted
thru my collection of used ones, and found one that had all gears working
(by turning input
shaft by hand and shifting thru the gears) and had adequate fluid that did
not smell burned,
and did not have major metal chunks on the magnet, and took the risk.  Last
night I got
everything bolted back together, finally, and she works fine!!! Took a
spirited drive
around the neighborhood, without the hood on.

Tranny has a slight grunch when shifting quick into 2nd, indicating a worn
synchro.  No problem,
I will either shift VERY FAST, or take my time, and it should not be
problem.

My plan for another spare tranny is to take the blown up one back to the
folks that rebuilt it,
and explain that staking or welding the main nut really is a good idea in a
high torque motor, and to use it, and one of my spares to build one good
tranny.  It is my thought that the synchros and most of the bearing on the
blown up unit are still good, since it only accumulated less than 2K miles
before breaking.  Yea, lots of hard miles, and some autocrosses, but really
very little use.  Maybe those parts can be teamed with a good gear set from
the spare.

The important thing is to get the car inspected and start driving it
again!!! Yeeee Haaa!
Best Regards,
Jim
Chesapeake, Virginia