Potential wheel bearing whine?

To: <matt@vander-bend.com>
Subject: Potential wheel bearing whine?
From: "Jon and Maggie" <jm.rider@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 21:55:54 -0700
Matt,

I have another way the test for a bad wheel bearing.  It is a simple procedure
that doesn't require much but a short drive.

Find a parking lot or a rural road where you can turn your roadster side to
side and do just that.  When you have weight on the suspected wheel with the
bad bearing, the noise should be louder and more pronounced.  When the weight
is off the wheel in question, the noise will be less noticable.  This method
has always worked for me.  If you get no variation in sound when doing this,
in my opinion, the wheel bearings aren't your problem.

>From your brief description, I'd say you have a brake pad that's dragging and
not a bad bearing.  A bearing will make a continual noise and not be affected
by brake pressure.

Sincerely,
Jon Rider
Bothell, WA