Newbie needing help!

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Newbie needing help!
From: "byrd_matt" <byrd_matt@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 11:12:33 -0500
Just got my first Roadster this week and I need some help with the Carbs and
a Exhaust rattle.

I am not a mechanic, but I am capable of general maintenance for my
automobile....  With that said, here are my problems:

My '67 1600 idles high (1200-1500 rpm's) compared to info in my Chilton's
Manual.  The car does not smoke, but while at an idle the exhaust smells
very strong or rich.  The strong exhaust seems to leak into the cockpit
while driving as well.  Not sure if there is an exhaust leak too or if it is
just the strong exhaust from the tailpipe.  What can I do about this besides
calling Z-therapy?

The muffler also seems to rattle against the body/frame when starting up and
shutting down the car.  I checked the muffler and it seems to be mounted
tight.  I was also told the motor mounts were previously replaced.  However,
there is a lot of movement when the motor is idling and/or revved up.  The
last motor mounts failure I saw was one that separated, these look a little
old and cracked but that is all.  How can I know if it is the motor mounts?

Thanks,

Matt
'67-1600