Front suspension questions

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Front suspension questions
From: "gregs672liter@netzero.net" <gregs672liter@netzero.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 07:16:14 GMT
Greetings list.  Well, I went a little crazy Saturday night and disassembled
the entire front suspension on the '67 2000.  I needed to do the boots as they
were quite rotten.  I have some questions on worn parts.  Before I took it
apart, there seemed to be a lot of slop in the idler box... I could move the
passenger wheel back and forth about a half an inch and it seemed the idler's
shaft would move side to side a bunch.  Now that it is all apart, it seems
tight (at least when I hold it by hand and try to move it back and forth).  The
main ball joints seem tight (but how tight is "tight"?) as do the other joints.
 How can I effectively check all these parts before I put it back together?
Also, the lower A-arms seemed to have a lot of slop on the shaft when the lower
ball joint was removed... is that normal?  Can anyone tell me what I should be
looking for?  Thanks list!!!!!  I've got 15 days to get her back together
before I head for Shasta!
Greg