Master cylinder swap...

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Master cylinder swap...
From: "Mark" <mark@JELLOFISH.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 09:23:02 -0700
Andy wrote:  >It is kind of mushy and requires a lot of travel before the
brakes grab.

If you have a mushy pedal, I'd suspect either air in the system, or a
hematoma in one of the rubber lines, but I doubt it would be a function of
the master cylinder size, unless IT was the thing with the air bubble.
Stepping up to a larger diameter master will effect two changes:  shorter
throw (excluding freeplay) and harder pedal pressure required.

In the late fifties or early sixties, VW stepped down from 19mm to 17mm (so
small females wouldn't complain about having to press the pedal so hard?).
We had inexperienced (doctor and lawyer)Porsche (poor-shuh) owners complain
about 'excessive' pedal travel after we'd just adjusted their binders (there
would be a lot more travel floorward than any other car they'd owned), until
we explained that Porsche recommended a specific number of 'clicks'  (7) to
back off from tight, to allow for expansion as heat built up while racing,
plus the fact that, with the pedal lower when engaged, their right foot was
much better situated to goose the gas at the same time as applying the
brakes, for blasting through those pesky slalom courses with verve.   That
was the end of the complaints!

I'm sure you already know all this, but I've had too much coffee this
morning and couldn't resist.

Best,

Mark in Modesto

"A wise man speaks because he has something to say.
A fool speaks because he has to say SOMEthing."