Screw in how far?? Idler Arm Question

To: kenneth@iversonet.com
Subject: Screw in how far?? Idler Arm Question
From: "James Cawrse" <nqrithfordatsun@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 10:50:21 -0400
I dont know, but I screwed mine in all the way, and backed it out just far
enough to
allow enough movement for the steering to work.  So far, so good, with this
approach.
I am sure some one on the list will correct me if I'm wrong, but it is
apparantly not unsafe,
as it has held together just fine.

Jim
Chesapeake, Virginia

>From: "Ken" <kenneth@iversonet.com>
>To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
>Subject: Idler Arm Question
>Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 09:41:20 -0700
>
>I am replacing the entire front suspension and steering components on
>my 1968 2000.  I have a question about the idler arm.  I removed the
>unit and found the lower bushing quite worn but the shaft appears
>normal.  I replaced the lower bushing but I need to know how far to
>screw in the idler arm to the housing.  Do you screw it in far enough
>to create some type of tension between the pitman arm and the lower
>seal?  It is clear I don't want to screw it in all the way as that
>would not allow for movement in the arm.
>
>I do have an original Datsun service manual for this model but, as
>expected, it says nothing about how far to re-insert the idler shaft.
>
>Thanks
>
>Ken McLeod
>Chandler AZ
>SRL311-01179