Dim headlight

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Dim headlight
From: <gregs672liter@netzero.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 06:14:12 GMT
Greetings list, I need assistance with a dim passenger side headlight on a '69
1600.  I have cleaned all contacts, checked wiring harness (unwrapped the tape
for a ways looking for burnt wires), cleaned relay etc.  Driver's side lamp is
normal.  When I check the output for the passenger side, the volt meter shows
11.15 volts at BOTH hot wires when not connected to the lamp (I have noticed
that sometimes it is much less, like 3 volts, but the next time I check and it
is back to 11+).  While holding the volt meter to the wire and then touching
the lamp contacts so it lights up (headlamp loose, not in it's mount, so it is
just wire to lamp), volts drop to 7.60 or so and lamp is dim.  This does not
happen when I do this on the driver's side.  If I switch on the high beams, the
lamp goes even dimmer.  All other lights work (turn, brakes, side markers,
etc.) but the license plate lights and back up lights are not currently hooked
up (in case that makes any difference).  I am using the battery as ground for
my volt meter, so I do not think it is a ground problem(?)  I hate wiring...
suggestions on what is happening?  Many many thanks!
Greg Burrows