OT Quest. - Maybe

To: "Datsun-Roadsters@Autox. Team. Net"
Subject: OT Quest. - Maybe
From: "Tom Hendricksen" <tom@acmehomesales.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 14:42:06 -0700
It looks like I am about to take over maintenance responsibility on a 2003
Lincoln 4.6L with about 150,000 miles on it. It is used in livery service.

Originally the company used Castrol Synthetic 530 oil, which I was delighted
to note when studying the maintenance records.  Recently (40,000 miles) the
owners were talked into switching to high mileage oil for this car and its
twin.  I think that was a mistake because from my understanding the
synthetic oil should have reduced the wear to about 0 which would eliminate
the need for the high mileage oil.  Oil changes on these cars average about
once every 12 days or so if they are not sitting for some reason.

Does anyone know the differences between regular oil and high mileage oil?
Should/can I go back to the Castrol synthetic to reduce engine wear.  The
engine is expected to go to about 450,000 miles, which I have seen reached
in a few cars before the car was replaced.  This mileage is with excellent
maintenance and without major engine overhaul.

Since it will be me paying the bills on this car I would like to keep things
running smooth and clean for as long as possible.

BTW, this is an L version, which is stretched 6" in the floorboard between
the front and rear seats, making it nice for NBA centers to sit in the back
seat with leg room to spare.  I have noted that it is very easy to get about
18 MPG in the city and I have seen 21 MPG in mixed city and hiway driving.
I don't know what Ford did in 2003, but those mileage readings on 2
different cars really beat the mileage readings I see on my 95 Grand Marquis
and the 2000 and 2001 Lincolns I have also been driving.

Datsun content:  It is finally sunny in Portland, and I have been driving
the Datsun all day as I chase parts for my Merc.  I really want to go for a
long run, but there is just no time... :-(

Tom
69 2000 - Mr. Hyde
Portland
http://www.acmehomesales.com/datsun