Need Guidance on Steering Boxes

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Need Guidance on Steering Boxes
From: Scott Occhiuto <calabria1922@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 15:40:35 -0700 (PDT)
Hi List,

I have a 68 2000 that I have owned since 1976.  I
recently had the front end gone through by a frame and
front end shop that Gordon Glasgow - thanks Gordon!

The shop said the upper A-arm spindle on the passenger
side and the lower ball joints were all worn.  He
replaced all of them plus installed the 10 rubber
boots over the grease fittings and did an alignment.
However he mentioned that the steering box was badly
worn, noting that he tightened it as much as he could
without it binding, but that I needed a new u-joint,
rebuilt box, new worm gear and/or idler.

I have heard that there were two basic steering box
designs for the roadster and that the later models (69
on) were a better design.

Is that true, and if so, how do I identify the better
one?

Anybody have instructions, tips, and tricks on taking
out the old one and putting the new one in?

Suggestions on anything else I should check on the
front end while I have the box out?

Thanks!!!

Scott Occhiuto