Re: a couple of questions

To: matthew peterson <pete_303@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: a couple of questions
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 13:35:45 -0500 (CDT)
Matt,

On the starter problems, remove the starter solenoid from the top of the
starter and see if the slug of metal that is inside the coil slides
easily. I suspect that it is gummy. Clean it and lube it with a very small
bit of lithium grease. While the solenoid is off see if the bendix will
move back and forth. It is also possible that it is gummy. If that is the
case you will have to remove the starter and lube it up. Use a small
amount of wheel bearing grease.

That should take care of the starter

As for the temp gauge, it sounds like your sender is bad. I don't know if
the resistance curves of the r-20 and l-20 senders are similar or not.
Even if they are close at some point you should be able to use the l-20
sender with the roadster gauge, but the temp readings may be off. Almost
all of the roadster gauges read off anyway, so all you need to do is
figure out what the gauge reads when the engine is not running hot and go
with that.

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor/Future planner, CS Dept,
University of Texas, 1 University Station C0500,Austin, Tx. 78712-1188 USA