Re: Rack and Pinion Conversion

To: "Brian Hollands" <Brian_Hollands@adp.com>
Subject: Re: Rack and Pinion Conversion
From: Mikep <mikep@bikeswap.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 21:45:03 -0700
Thanks for all the replies - not really worried about winning nationals
or even winning a local event, really most interested in the cool
factor and being within shouting distance of the other cars in the
class at the occasional autox. I want to make a street driven "race"
styled car and the SR20 with 2 side draft 2-barrels would be cool and
not be larger than 2000cc, kinda' like throwing a Cosworth head on an
old LBC. The DOHC and crossflow head are neat and could actually look
retro if properly styled.  The rack and pinion would be a nice feature
and would save the original parts to keep another roadster on the road.
I think some time spent in the junkyards with a camera and a tape
measure should scare up a forward mounted rack that is close in
geometry and after removal of the current box and idler mount points
there should be room to build a new mount. I would also eliminate that
spear aimed at my chest with the stock low windshield steering.
        The ideal "parts car" would have most of it's trim in good shape so I
could up the quality of the shiny bits on the stock roadster I'm
working on and be too much of a project to make restoration feasible.
I'd want to keep the standard rear suspension setup - just up the
strength of the rearend for spontaneous donuts. A four wheel disc
upgrade would also be necessary. Currently I'm still in the planning /
wondering stage and just looking at options. I like the look of the
SR20 and want the suspension to be up to the task. FI and turbos are
out of the question - I just want the power to weight ratio of a
healthy Solex U20 without the expense or need for originality. Updating
a car that was destined for scrap due to body issues would be my goal.

Mikep
67.5 1600 on it's way back
Colorado Springs, CO

On Mar 31, 2004, at 9:13 AM, Brian Hollands wrote:

Stuff cut
> I've heard of it being done but never seen one.  I don't think it could
> be done without some cutting of the frame which would put you in E-Mod.
> I don't think you'd get any benefit from such a swap either as far as
> autocrossing is concerned - it would just up the cool factor at the
> local bench races.  SM2 would be a fun place for roadster to play but
> it's a high horsepower class.  A n/a SR20 would probably be very
> competitive at regional events but not beyond that.  If "light
> autocrossing" is the intent - I'd just build a cool car and run
> whatever
> class it happens to fit.

> Brian '69 2000
> Tampa, FL
> web.Tampabay.rr.com/oilleak

More stuff cut
Mike - I have done one and was in the process of another when a house
fire
stopped the work.  experiment on.   Putting a rack in a Roadster is a
very good idea.  People
are putting all kinds of power in the Roadster without consideration of
the
old steering system.  A lot of white knuckles out there:)

Phil
SEROC