Re: Dashpot oil (was: quick question)

Subject: Re: Dashpot oil (was: quick question)
From: Chris Coker <chriscoker@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 07:01:09 -0500
This is the approach used on my race car, with 1 1/2" SU carbs.  No
dampers at all, but still retaining stock springs.  I had to move up to
a .100 jet (same as the 2L), and a needle profile that tapers
dramatically when compared to the stock 1600 needle.  Last year, I
experimented with the "RF" and "RH" needles, and some hand
modifications, using those as a starting point.  This season, I'll be
experimenting with RB and RC needles, both a little richer at top end.
Throttle response is much better than a stock SU, but the idle isn't
quite as smooth.  That's partially a result of the "hot" cam I have in
the race motor...trying to make good power at 8000 rpm!

One of the best books I've seen on SU carbs is "How to Build and Power
Tune SU Carburetors" by Des Hamill.  Also David Vizard's "Tuning the
A-series Engine" has some good flowbench data on various SU carb
modifications.

Happy roadstering to all-
---
Chris Coker