Re: O/T '88 Nissan pickup question

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: O/T '88 Nissan pickup question
From: "George Hobers" <ghobers@sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 23:32:20 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "matthew peterson" <pete_303@yahoo.com>
To: "roadster list" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Sent: Friday, March 26, 2004 1:28 PM
Subject: O/T '88 Nissan pickup question

> Hi,
> I have a question for anyone familiar with '88 Nissan pickups.  I have a
friend who has a '84 and is looking at buying an '88 and they both have the
same problem.  They drive fine until you accelerate hard and then they start
cutting out.  Almost like the injectors stop giving the cylinders gas.  It
cuts in and out about once every second until you ease back off the gas.
Has anyone experienced this and know what the cause is?
> I know my buddy would really appreciate any help if someone know's what
might be causing this.
> Roadste content:  My car's coming back together quite well and I'm hoping
to have it back on the road by early summer after three long years of
sitting in the garage in various stages of dissasembly!
> Matt Peterson
> '68 1600
> Winona, MN

Hi to the list.
I have been a lurker for a while and thought I could put my 2 cents in on
this problem.
If these trucks are 4 cylinders then it sounds like an ignition problem. Try
switching the coil wires at the
coils to see if gets rid of the cutting out. If it does then you have a
problem with your cap rotor wires or spark
plugs. If it doesn't then you most likely have a bad coil or transistor or
both for the intake side.
 Check to see if both coils are firing at idle. They should. If any of these
are your problem then I would
strongly recommend using only Nissan OEM.
Oh ya I am a Nissan technician and own a 69 2000 in a thousand pieces
George Hobers
Smithville, Ont.
Canada