1966 Datsun 1600 - Starter or Solenoid?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: 1966 Datsun 1600 - Starter or Solenoid?
From: MVaughn120@aol.com
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 08:17:34 EST
Hi Listers,
I'm new to this list/group.  I just purchased my roadster last week.  A pic
of the car was posted in 2002 to this website -
http://www.311s.org/registry/1966/spl311-00058.html.

I'm having problems with starting the car after it has warmed up - starts
cold with no problem.  After driving alittle while, if I shutoff the car and
try
to restart it, the battery sounds like it is dying but the battery is fine.
The car can be kick started but cannot be jumped.  (oh, yes, and I found the
problem sitting in the LOOOOONG line at motor vehicle to get the car tagged -
bless the poor little car that kick started in reverse with little effort and
did not overheat sitting/running for over an hour - I didn't dare shut it off
again.  Thank goodness that I found the problem while I was still the last car
in line.)

I thought we had narrowed it down to the starter, until I read the tech
article on starter problems from the 311s.org website.  "Nine times out of ten
it
is a bad solenoid.  Bad solenoids tend to draw too many amps and overheat."

How do I determine which one is the problem?  Suggested replacement part?
For the solenoid, the article states replacing it "with a Nissan unit and your
problem should be solved".  Yeah!!  Hmmmm - part number?

I have two Triumphs (72 Spitfire and 73 GT6).  (Yes, I've exceeded my garage
limits.  LOL) The parts for the British cars seem so much easier to identify
and obtain - at least info on them seems to be.  Open a catalog, place order,
package arrives in 2 days.  Where are the parts catalogs?????

Thanks,
Shelly