Re: clutch slave insurance

To: Eric <egustavson@bigpond.com>,
Subject: Re: clutch slave insurance
From: Ronnie Day <rday@hot.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 07:04:23 -0600
>Eric

> for those who like to use a roadster for long-distance touring when
> reliability is very important, the Toyota part #04313-60011 cylinder kit is
> a great investment for less than $20 Aus.  This is for an early Land Cruiser
> and it's the same dimension as the Datsun piston.
>
> It's a replacement part with two seals on it rather than the single seal
> that the roadster has, meaning a different contact area in the cylinder.
> The red-anodised piston comes with the seals installed, as well as a rubber
> bellows and a rubber bleed screw cap.  If you've ever had to endure a popped
> clutch while going somewhere like I have a couple of times over the years,
> this gives some peace of mind.
>
> For those who may see a problem with a Toyota part, at least it's beneath
> your foot all the time.  Step on it proudly.

It's very possible, if not probable, that this part is actually manufactured
by either Tokico or Nabco. Both make hydraulic bits for a number of Japanese
manufacturers.

It would be nice if we could come up with part number cross references based
on the working dimensions of parts like these. I'd bet we could find many
other "non Datsun" parts that are virtually the same and still available.

FWIW,
Ron