Re: question for the original owners....

To: "sidney raper" <spl310@hotmail.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: question for the original owners....
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2004 08:56:57 -0500
The 'gold' color is a yellow chromate conversion which is applied after the
plating and helps make the plating last longer. It's a cold dip solution.
Chromate conversions also come in other colors such as olive and if left in
long enough almost black.

I remember when stripping my car many years ago there was a mix of coatings
and I guess it depended on what the suppliers did at the time.

BTW, most of the plating done today is zinc as cadmium plating is not
environmental friendly and costs much more.

MIke