Harness and seatbelts 2 info

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Harness and seatbelts 2 info
From: "Allen Blackmon" <orangedawg@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 19:38:27 +0000
To List,

Just to check out some info, I called the technical customer service guys at
both Schroth and Sparco/Sabelt.  Apparently, in order to get DOT approval
(at least talking to these guys), the belt has to be tested and "crashed"
using the seats that are in the car.  Since that has not been done with our
cars, neither belt is DOT approved for our cars.

The Sparco belts are not DOT approved, but apparently are built to current
car specs, which should be quite a bit more than our older cars.  They run
about $75-95 per seat depending on the model.  The Schroth belt is DOT
approved, but since since it hasn't been tested on our carts and our cars
are not ion their "list", it's not DOT approved for our cars. It costs about
$145 per seat.

Both belts (Sparco 3 point clubman and the Schroth 3 point) are 2" webbing
with a "seat belt" style clip as opposed to a cam lock.

The above is what I was told.  Please do not hold the messenger responsible
is this info is incorrect.  Okay?

Allen
1970 2000 trying to figure out if I should use Schroth or Sparco