Re: stupid question

To: <PLETCH5@aol.com>, Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: stupid question
From: Ronnie Day <rday@hot.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 20:33:19 -0600
>PLETCH5@aol.com

> I think I know the answer but I want more opinions. The temp sensor I have
> for my electric fan is designed to work on a radiator hose. Should I mount it
> on the radiator  inlet to see if the water temp leaving the engine is to hot
> or at the radiator outlet to see if it has cooled the water enough? My guess
> is the water outlet, because it matter more how much the radiator is doing
> its job not how hot the water is before it gets there.

Ken,

Hayden makes a couple of control/relay kits, one offers adjustable on/off
points and the other is fixed. For both the sensor is a probe that you stick
through the core (carefully, between tubes of course). There may be others
out there but this one doesn't involve extra fittings into the radiator
tanks or other intrusive undertakings.

I used the relay portion of this kit when I added a second fan to the
radiator in my POS '92 Skylark daily driver. The relay is actually designed
to handle two fans so I wired it in place of the OEM fan and then powered
the OEM fan and the Hayden off of the downstream side of the relay. I think
the fixed temp relay kit was around $40 at Pep Boys. It works fine if I keep
the system full of coolant.

Other than a persistent slow leak in the radiator (less than a year old) due
primarily to what may be the worst designed radiator drain plug in
automotive history, the biggest problem is probably due to an approximately
1 inch gap between the mounting ring that holds the fan and the back of the
radiator. Consequently air can be drawn into the fan without being pulled
through the radiator. There's not enough room to stuff high temp foam rubber
into the gap to seal it, and so far I've been too lazy to fabricate a sheet
metal "ring" to tie wrap to the fan mount  and fill it that way. I keep
having this recurring dream about a new car, but I doubt that'll happen
soon.

Sorry, didn't mean to ramble so, but the first couple of paragraphs are at
least somewhat applicable.

HTH,
Ron

Ronnie Day