RE: brake lines

To: "Datsun Forum" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: brake lines
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 21:03:29 -0800
Well, if you have the engine out, you can do like I did. I got tired of having
the brake lines getting in the way of the heater hoses, heater valve, etc., so I
relocated everything.

Remember, the basic situation is that these cars were designed as
right-hand-drive, so all the hydraulics were on the right to begin with. When
they made the left-hand-drive ones, they just ran a bunch of plumbing across
from the left side to the right side of the engine compartment and made a
horrible mess (IMO).

I put a simple T fitting underneath the rear carb and ran the line from the
front half of the master cylinder down to that. Then I ran a short line forward
from there to the left front brake. The line for the right front brake runs back
into the center tunnel along that body lip, across to the right side and forward
along the box section of the inner fender. The clutch line does a similar
maneuver. The rear brake line now runs down the left side of the car, so it just
drops down from the master cylinder and goes out to the outside of the frame
down by the starter.

People keep saying "How come your engine compartment looks so clean? I know you
moved the battery to the trunk, but..." They rarely spot the fact that the
hydraulic lines are almost completely hidden.

Unfortunately, I don't really have any pictures that show where they went.

Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA