RE: Gasket sealant and putting on manifold

To: "Datsun Roadsters List \(E-mail\)" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Gasket sealant and putting on manifold
From: "Graeme Suckling" <graemes@saonline.com.au>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 08:47:04 +0930
Allen,
I use a product made by CRC called Maniseal Exhaust Cement.
Can be used with heat up to 300 deg. C in kilns etc.
It is a paste type substance which cures when the engine heats up.
I would also smear it around the inlet port holes and the water
passage holes.
Then place the exhaust manifold in position and hold with the two end
fasteners.
Now place the inlet manifold in position and insert the remaining
fasteners.
Tighten the fasteners from the centre of the head to the two ends in
an alternate pattern.
The Maniseal will extrude from the mating surfaces to a degree but
that at least indicates a good seal will result.
I would also recommend using Maniseal on all flange/slip joints in the
exhaust system to ensure no leaks.
Touring with the top down + exhaust leaks = puuk!
Regards,
Graeme Suckling
1965 SP310 - under construction
1971 P510 4 door - daily driver, original owner
1972 P510 2 door - in storage
1973 HS30/240Z - re-building