How to measure if timing chain is in "spec"?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: How to measure if timing chain is in "spec"?
From: "Boutros Boutros-Ghali" <butrosbutrosgali@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 15:34:56 +0000
I successfully removed the crank pulley bolt and pulley.  Thanks to all who
responded, I used the car-in-gear-handbrake method with a sizeable breaker
bar.  The pulley came off with a gear puller I adapted to pull on the two
bolts I threaded into the inner pulley.

Once I get the new chain installed, how do I tell if it is tight enough?  If
I have to shim the cam towers, how do I know how big of a shim to buy?

I measured the head the last time I had it off and its thickness was within
tolerance according to the reference manual.  The block deck could have been
milled too much, but I think the engine has only been rebuilt once.

Thanks,

Ken Pearce
B'ham WA 68-2000