Re: brakes and wheel bearings

To: ian miller <datsun661600@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: brakes and wheel bearings
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 16:18:48 -0500 (CDT)
Seals are so cheap that, unless yours are new, I would replace them when I
remove them. Any method you use to remove the seal is likely to damage the
seal.

The best shot you have of getting the grease seal out without damaging it
is to use the inner bearing to remove it. take the outer bearing out and
put the nut back on. Now pull the rotor out until the nut cathes on the
inner bearing. Now tug hard and the bearing and seal will pull out and
remain on th espildle while the rotor pulls off. There is no guarantee
that the weal will provide, but this will be your best shot.

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner