Re: A hearty THANKS and a really dumb question

To: "Allen Blackmon" <orangedawg@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Re: A hearty THANKS and a really dumb question
From: mtyler <mtyler@hctc.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 18:20:15 -0500
Allen Blackmon wrote

>Now, the stupid question.  I have not yet taken my pistons out of my
>calipers, but will when I get home from work.  My question is:  What is
>holding the piston in the caliper?  I get it that when you pump the brakes,
>the pressure pushes the piston, and therefore the brake pad, onto the rotor.
>  But how does the piston then retract when the brakes are not applied?  Is
>it a vacuum?  Sorry about my INCREDIBLY moronic question, but I fully admit
>I'm an idiot!

I'm the idiot. I didn't ask enough questions and ended up slightly
bending one of the pins in one of the the caliper bodies!  The pins, by
the way are pressure fit into a sleeve in the piston.  this sleeve has a
spring that helps retract the piston from the rotor.  Asking questions
sometimes gets contradictory answers, but even they can give you someting
to go on.

-Marc