Re: TWM throttle bodies with Electromotive Tec-II ignition /

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TWM throttle bodies with Electromotive Tec-II ignition /
From: "Chris Robertson" <ckrobertson@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 18:50:20 -0600
The TEC-II might be overkill, unless you are planning to use a turbocharger
or supercharger.  There are less expensive engine management systems that
provide timing adjustment and the necessary fuel injector divers (SDS,
Haltech, Electromotive HPV3, etc).

I love Datsun Roadsters dearly, so don't get me wrong when I say your money
might be better spent elsewhere.  Making such modifications could add a fair
amount of power, maybe 25+ horsepower.  You'll need to make sure that your
U20 is up to it.  Have you priced timing gears and chains?  In what
condition are the valvetrain, rings and bearings?  This isn't a cheap
proposal.

Here's the big question:  What is your goal?  If you want high power, do an
engine swap.  If you want to keep the car original, then do nothing.  What
you're proposing is to maximize 35 year old engine technology, which is a
really cool idea but expensive and not yielding a lot for the money
invested.  It IS a cool idea though, and fellow roadster owners will crowd
around you engine bay at car meets. :)
For $3600 you could transplant a JDM Nissan SR20DET, which will easily
provide 250hp and it's lighter than the U20.  Or use a 300ZX turbo, or a
rotary, or even American iron.  There are tons of options.

There are lots of projects, ideas, and opinions on this list.  Pick up as
much info as you can and decide what's best for you and your  roadster.

Have fun,
Chris