Re: Junkyard wheel finds in SOCAL

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Junkyard wheel finds in SOCAL
From: Thomas Walter <twalter@austin.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 21:04:25 -0600
Eric,

An excellent site to start on Datsun Wheels is Kurt Hafer's
excellent work at:
http://kmhafer.homestead.com/files/wheelFAQ.htm

Kurt wrote in terms of 510's, so he covers wheels starting
with 13" with 510 specific information. Any rim larger than
14" is fair game for the roadster. Lots of Toyota & Mitsi
options out there (that don't need those #$%! nissan lug
nuts!).

The wheels I personally like are the 81-83 ZX six-spoke,
as they were the lightest (@13 pounds) of the bunch.
Search for the Hollander Part Number: 62146

As commented on many times, you can not "just bolt up
these wheels" but really should have the correct 12mm
studs and correct Nissan Lug nuts when using NISSAN
aluminum wheels.

Wheel Weight: A rough "rule of thumb" is every pound of
rotational weight is like adding 7 pounds of dead weight
to the car.  For maximum performance you want to keep
the rotational weight, as unsprung weight, as light as
possible!  It is one Irony of "performance" rims that are
larger than stock... they may decrease performance!

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Austin, TX

P.S. Trivia... Kurt's grandfather was a retired surgeon
who made up custom wooden toys & shift knobs. His only
request for payment was a check made out to American
Cancer Society. Little things go a long way...