Re: '66' SPL311 questions

To: Robert Giel <giel@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: '66' SPL311 questions
From: Mike Harper <roadsterdude1600@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 19:36:05 -0800 (PST)
Bob:
> 1.  A VIN ON THE FRAME ITSELF (not the VIN tag on
> the hood
> ledge/firewall) is often mentioned on this list.
> Where on
> the frame is this number located?

It will be near the front of the engine compartment,
just behind the steering box.  You will not be able to
see it & suspect we are all crazy.  Only after
cleaning & wire brushing will it start to appear,
kinda like invisible ink.  It is a game Nissan played,
I think, but it is there.

> 2.  How do you hook up a hoist to the "R" engine and
> tranny?
> I have a boom hoist (a.k.a. "cherry picker") and an
> engine
> leveler. This engine-tranny combo has no lifting
> brackets,
> no on-top intake manifold for hardware attachment,
> and an
> aluminum head which I fear may be easily damaged.

Should be 2 brackets.  One on the back of the head
secured by the back head bolt (the long one if you
ever remove the bolts (remember there is a long one))
One which is secured as part of the thermostat
housing/alternator bracket (at least on the really
early iron head 1600's like mine.  Sounds like your's
are not there, so who knows what mods were done.
sorry.

> So, considering safety, minimal damage to the car,
> and
> maximum maneuverability (in that order), what is the
> best
> way to grab this "R" engine for lifting?

Those brackets are nice, I'm sure the gear heads on
this list can suggest alternatives however.

> 3.  All of my slave cylinders (clutch and rear
> brakes) leak
> horribly.  What texture should the internal rubber
> parts
> (piston caps) have?  Soft, firm, hard? Flexible,
> semi-stiff?

rebild kits are available, as are new cylinders.
While the replacements are there and relatively cheap,
I've replaced the wheel cyls and kept the old ones to
rebuild someday..I just rebuilt the slave, and it was
pretty easy. Just used the rubber in the kits. Do not
recall the texture.

Mike Harper
'66 1600
'68 2000