Re: <OT> calculating engine displacement

To: roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: <OT> calculating engine displacement
From: Thomas - Sweden <csp311@telia.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 02:38:33 +0100
1982 cc/4 = 495.5 cc or actual size/cylinder is 495.679 cc
Well 1982.7 cc but maybe 1983 cc is an unlucky number in Japan.

Tom W, I think you caculated with 87.4 mm instead of 87.2 mm, not?

I have not seen any engine with just over 2000 cc like 2001 or so
but many 1998 and 1999 cc or more than 2100 cc. In racing, many
turbocharged engines were 2142 cc. Why, because of the old FIA
rule that said turbocharged engine cc should be calculated with
1.4 compared to normally aspirated. Porsche 935 had 2857 cc in
the racing cars but 3300 cc in the 930 road cars.

Thomas, the other one.

RWM wrote:

> Combustion chamber volume (and valve relief pockets in piston tops, if
> applicable) come into play when calculating compression ratio.
>
> - Bob Mann, '69 2000 Solex
>
> Thomas Walter wrote:
> >
> > Swept volume.
> >
> > So figure the area (d/2^2 * PI)
> > times the stroke.
> >
> > That is the volume for one cylinder.
> >
> > Since the roadster is a has an 87.2mm bore,
> > and a 83mm stroke.
> >
> > Area = (d/2)^2  * PI
> >       =  87.4/2 ^2  * 3.1415
> >       =  7638/4    * 3.1415
> >       =  6005 mm*mm
> >
> > Stroke = 83mm
> >
> > So per cylinder = 6005 * 83 mm*mm*mm
> >                  = 498495 cubic millimeters
> >                  = 498 cc
> >
> > Note the measurements go from mm to cc (cubic centimeter).
> > cc is the common factory, but to go from mm to cm is a factor of
> > 10, or in the case of mm*mm*mm to cm*cm*cm (a factor of 10 * 10 * 10).
> >
> > Anyway from the above give us just about 2000cc for a four cylinder
> > engine, so those darn bore and stroke measurements should be correct.
> >
> > snyler wrote:
> >
> > > Just curious, how is displacement of an engine calculated?  Simply bore
> > > and stroke and number of cylinders?  Are combustion chambers factored in?
> > >
> > > -Marc T.

///
///