RE: Specs - More Cam chain stuff

Subject: RE: Specs - More Cam chain stuff
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@home.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 12:27:29 -0700
The deck height is actually the measurement from the top of the piston at TDC to
the top of the block. On my current engine that's about .034".

I don't know a technical name for what you measured, which I suspect is the
distance from the crank centerline (as defined by the mating surface of the main
bearing cap) to the top of the block (the deck). Nor do I know of a factory spec
for it. I measured one of my blocks at 8.937" and I'm reasonably sure it has
never been surfaced, so I suspect yours is also stock thickness.

I usually look at the engine number on a U20 to see if the block has been
surfaced. The more it has been surfaced, the more the numbers will disappear.

Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA