Re: Basic Distributor Question

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, jon_wissler@pngc.com
Subject: Re: Basic Distributor Question
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 12:15:18 -0700
Jon,

You can remove the distributor breaker plate without changing the ignition
points setting.

Remove the distributor cap and rotor.
Remove the two outer screws on the breaker plate.
You can then slide the breaker plate upwards and off the center shaft.
Now look down into the bowels of the distributor, and you'll see the advance
weights and springs. Hopefully you'll see the little square nut (that holds the
plastic block for the wiring passthru), somewhere down there.

If not, take special care to jot down the position of the springs. There's one
with a square hook, and one with a round hook. Make a note of how they are
oriented with the piece that's stamped 7.5 or 17.5 (non-smog vs. smog). You can
now remove the weights and springs after removing the little screw in the cam on
top of the shaft (note the position of the flat on the cam where the rotor
goes). Then you can see clear to the bottom of the distributor body.

There are very few parts on the distributor, and it is easy to put back
together. Just as long as you don't pull the distributor out of the engine you
should be okay. Be sure you put it all back together in the same orientation.

Fred - So.SF