cold air box fabrication

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net'"
Subject: cold air box fabrication
From: Fergus OFarrell <FOFarrell@qtww.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 08:06:05 -0700
Hey all,
the two part polyurethane foam will be fine, but try a little block with
your resin before you do major shaping job. (my background says styrene foam
(refrig packing) melts in solvent, urethane foam doesn't, but maybe your
product is a different mixed beast) What does result is a rough inner
surface, which for the smooth air flow is NOT what you want.  One trick I
have seen is to gently brush the outside with softened paraffin wax,
available in the canning/preserve section in the the store.  This gives a
nice surface you can further smooth if you want, and easy release later.
(also creates a barrier layer so that you can lay-up polyester resin on
styrene foams) There are simple techniques for getting a split (2-pc) airbox
off a single buck, but I won't bore the masses (probably too late) with the
details.  Contact me off list if you are interested.
Fergus O