Wiring harness dilemma - input please

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Wiring harness dilemma - input please
From: karl.payne@gm.com
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 15:46:02 -0500
After completing the engine swap in my '66 1600 the wiring
harness is the only remaining issue.
(This harness has a long history. You don't want to know...)
The shop that did the swap left a bunch of wires hanging down
from under the dash, and they wouldn't deal with the butchered
wiring harness other than to splice in the engine control module
and  harness.  The speedo, tach, oil and fuel gage didn't work
before, so they are all on the list for upgrading/fixing.
Assume they are all new, aftermarket gauges.  (Stewart Warner,
VDO, AutoMeter)  What would you suggest?
Also assume there is a new alternator installed, a one-wire, 100 amp unit.

OK, here's the dilemma:  If you were in my place would you
A.  Replace the wiring harness with an aftermarket offering?  (Like what
street rodders use; modern fuse block, new wires, better insulation, etc.)
In this scenario the lights, blinkers/brakes, horn, stereo, etc. all get
rewired.
-or -
B.  Replace the harness with an "original" scavenged from a boneyard
roadster?
-or-
C.  Replace the harness with a new one from our vendors?  Today I
have called Dean, Les/Dennis, & Dann but it must be my lucky day...
all answering machines.    Are there reproduction harnesses available?

What do you think would be best for the long run?
I will never sell this car, so resale value is irrelevant.

Karl Payne
SPL311-01434
2.3L EFI TurboFord conversion
http://www.picturetrail.com/karlepayne